Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Autumn arrives in Japan

This post is a few weeks late, and I have grown incredibly lazy with my posting, for which one day when I'm old and reflecting of my years in Japan, I will probably regret. The thing is, Japan is no less amazing, but combined with my lack of money this year (so less traveling) and the fact that most things I experience, a festival, a little overgrown shrine, my students being wonderful, dinner out with friends and such, have grown to be such a part of my life I don't think to report on all of them. I do hope I don't forget these wonderful memories.

Anyways, going back in time to about a month ago. Chelsea, the other Sarah, and myself took a pretty fun trip to Tokyo. We did some shopping, I spent hours in books stores and we went to the Meiji shrine as the sun was setting and creating this really awesome rippling effect in the clouds over several weddings that paraded through the precinct. It was a nice day.


The following weekend, Kevin and I woke before the sun and drove to Fujiyoshida where we met with Sheena and Ken for McDonalds breakfast and went north to Nagano where autumn comes earlier than in Yamanashi. We snaked through the mountains as the trees changed colours and parked in a valley to take a bus up to the highlands where private vehicles aren't allowed. Kamikochi was magnificent! It's this nearly untouched valley in the mountains where the water is crystal clear and the towering mountain peaks dusted with snow cradling a cacophony of gold and red leaves. And the weather was so perfect, warm with a cool breeze and the sky the bluist of blues! We hiked from the bus stop up the valley amidst birch trees and bird songs to this bridge that crossed the river to a really pretty pond. Here the trees were the most red and reflected in the mirror-like surface of the water. There were all these little islands dappling the pond and after contemplating my strategy for a good while I managed to hop stones and logs to one of them. Thankfully I was victorious for nearly twenty Japanese watched my performance waiting me to plunge in to the icy waters. We finished with few more pictures of a nice little shrine and traversed the land back to the warm bus for by now the sun had dipped behind the mountains.



 



 

Mmm what happened next? Well... I don't believe I have yet to mention that I'm learning how to be a samurai! On the trip to Tohoku I met this really interesting girl with a fascinating hobby: iaido. Iaido evolved from a martial art called battojutsu which is the art of drawing a sword. Having once done karate, when I failed to find kendo when I was younger, I was quite taken by this idea and did some research to find a dojo. I found one in Shinjuku that was bilingual and now every Thursday after school it take the train to iaido class and learn how to be a samurai. it's an incredible art for it's like meditation in that it requires focus and a clear mind but I can keep my hands busy which keeps me centered. It's really cool, and the best part is that we use really Japanese swords; mine is borrowed from an elderly man in otsuki who lets me practice with his little group on Saturdays.

Finally I'm nearing the end of October. I had fun with Halloween lessons with my students as the days got colder, and one evening, as I found myself shivering in my little house, I stole Kevin's kotatsu and made my house all cozy with a carpet and the heated table with a blanket. I think I'll survive this winter much warmer for it! There was a speech contest, an awesome day at school, a dinner out with friends, and afternoon hanging out with Stuart and Lena and playing an rpg and most recently an awesome trip to Costco that involved pumpkin pie, whip cream, real cheese, mango juice and 2,800 stickers for my kids! So much fun!



Now it's November and I'm wondering where the time has gone. All to soon I'll be thinking about packing up for home... but before then, I have another volunteer trip to Tohoku planned, hopefully a drive down to Kyoto and Nikki comes for Christmas while my Dad come for spring break! So lots to look forward to before returning to Canada!

No comments:

Post a Comment