Sunday, December 2, 2012

The bridge to autumn

I can't believe I'm into the first weekend of December now. The morning are frosty and the evening are spent under my kotatsu or electric blanket and the count down has begun to the days of snow and when Nikki comes to visit! As for Chirstmas... well I decided I long time ago, that while in Japan, Christmas just doesn't really exist. Superficially Japan is all about the holiday season with carols and Santa displays but it just makes me miss home and family so I try to put it out of mind... Winter can be very beautiful around here though, but before we get to snow there are still some days of autumn left!

So, on Saturday, Sheena, Laura and I started the day with McDonalds breakfast (yum!) and drove out of the mountains and down the Shizuoka where the weather is still warm and the leaves have barely changed! it was like another world outside of the mountains! Driving along the freeway the cloudy morning broke and the sun cast warmth over us and a brilliant blue sky! We stopped at this really cool rest stop with a gundam shop and got some coffee and hit the road again bound for this pretty little shrine in the momiji.

Okuni shrine is tucked into the hills far away from town but because of it's famous maple leaves it was very happening that Saturday. Still we managed to fight our way to the prettiest spots: first, a lovely red bridge over a river reflecting the leaves and second, a little island shrine in a pond connected by yet another red bridge. I love bridges! This whole adventure came about a full year ago when we were in the area and I saw a picture of a red bridge with momiji I insisted we needed to go there but we couldn't find it... this year we did! And was it ever worth it! If not for the trees, the bridges, and the cute shrine then for the warm afternoon that made winter feel years away!




 

 

I was reluctant to leave the sun and the leaves but we had a two and a half hour drive home. We stopped at this really cool service area that was basically a mall on the highway. Caught the sunset over the ocean and a delicious dinner of chicken parmesan and salad and then headed home. 


Yay for the perfect Saturday! On Sunday, I actually got to relax for a bit and then Kevin and I went to Saori's concert and after went to Mos Burger! Next week it's back to iaido and samurai training!

No comments:

Post a Comment