Thursday, May 17, 2012

Miso soup for the eigo sensei's soul

Year two: I feel I need to remember to post all these stories so I don't forget these moments in the years to come. They are little moments when I realize living here, despite the occasional homesickness, is one of the most rewarding things I have ever done, if not the most.

At the end of last year I received an overflowing amount of messages from my students thanking me for teaching them, you know all the boring usual stuff that the teacher's make them say, but among the notes there were a few comments that really stood out. Like saying that before my classes English wasn't fun but now they will try harder, and the enjoyed the atmosphere of my classes, oh and they think I'm pretty XD okay so not so inspirational but adorable none-the-less! They said I made English easy to understand and they always looked forward to my class! ,^_^, I should make a point to translate it all so that when I'm older and rusty at my language skills I won't forget what they wrote. In addition to the lovely cards, my favourite sixth year class had a photo of us printed out and I will always remember how great they were. That class could take a crappy unit and run with it so we all giggled and in our last class they all pretended to cry and my favourite students snapped at anyone who tried to reply 'I'm happy' to 'how are you' time! X,D

Moving into the new year. My favourite fifth year class is now my favourite sixth year class and they are still completely brilliant and a pleasure to teach for they seem to get all my jokes and participate all the time and work hard to be cleaver and play the games. They are so rewarding and fun to be around! They are attentive but know how to have fun and I never have to shout at them to shut up! I like to think they both like and respect me.

Riko, a fifth year from Nishi, drew me a picture of me last year and this year gave me a little mameshiba wrapped up in special paper with my name on it!

It took a bit of time to warm up to my new students but the ones that have warmed up to me, including my new ichinenseiers from my old schools, are totally adorable and drag me around the school all the time to show me things or race to my car when I get there in the morning to say 'hello' and inspect my trunk full of toys! And a few of them from Nanaho once picked up on the fact that i despise squid and disposed of it before the teacher noticed!

More to come!

1 comment:

  1. Hi, I was trying to get in touch with you. I sent you a postcard on postcrossing a while back. A maxi card with a bridge. I have seen that you have had uploaded the card with your address on it, if you would like, I can send you the photo of the card before I wrote stuff and stuck stamps on it. If so, just let me know on b.mikolajczyk@onet.eu
    Don't hesitate to delete this comment after you have read it, since it isn't in an appropriate place anyway. Regards

    ReplyDelete